Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a delicious and easy soup. Sometimes I go ahead and mix the bacon and sour cream right into the whole pot, which makes it richer and gives it a real and bacony flavor. This is one of my families favorites. I got this from a friend. I'm not sure where she got it from.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 large baked potatoes, baked,peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup bacon bits
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- chopped chives
- Saute' the onion and celery in 1 Tbsp margarine in a saute' pan until tender Combine the onion mixture, half and half, salt and pepper in a large saucepan; mix well.
- Heat to the boiling point, stirring occasionally.
- Heat 2 Tbsp margarine in saucepan until melted.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until of roux consistency, whisking sonstantly.
- Whisk into the half and half mixture and cheese.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add the potatoes, mix well.
- Cook just until the potatoes are heated through, stirring constantly.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Top each with bacon bits and sour cream and chives.
Wonderful potato soup! I did as you suggested by adding the bacon and sour cream right into the pot....so rich and creamy. "Delicious and easy" is the best way to describe this soup. Thank you so much, LeeAnn Duch!!
This was true comfort food. Nice on a cool evening. Thanks for a keeper.
hey you, this was good stuff! next time i think i'll go easy on the pepper though- anyway, thank you for the recipe! yum!