Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Great for using leftover baked potatoes.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 6 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 5 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream
- Pierce potatoes with fork and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes or until done.
- Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and cook in a heavy bottom soup pot over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pot and set aside, leaving drippings in the pot.
- To the drippings in the pot add flour and stir and heat for 1 minute, whisk in milk.
- Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until bubbly and thickened, stirring frequently.
- Scoop out potato pulp from the skins; add to the milk mixture; mash with the back of a wooden spoon leaving it a little bit chuncky.
- Add bacon (leaving a little out for topping the soup), 2 tablespoons of the onion, 1 cup cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Stir until cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream; mix until combined.
- Spoon soup into bowls, sprinkle with bacon, cheese and onions.
This is an awesome soup. My family loved it. I microwaved the potatoes instead of baking them.
Easy and delicious. I omitted the salt (personal preference). I did, indeed, have leftover baked potatoes, so this was nice and quick to prepare. Thanks for sharing! ~PAC Spring '10~
Yummy soup! My grandson had 2 large helpings, lol. I made this pretty much as directed except that I microwaved the potatoes as I was running short on time. Loved the flavor and the ease of making this. Thanks Chef #Selah Terry for sharing this great recipe. Made for PAC Spring 2010.