Recipe by lucy k.
Next time you make baked potatoes, throw in a few extra for this quick and delicious next-day soup.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 100 g prosciutto, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 baked potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup provolone cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions and prosciutto in butter in a large pot.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add garlic and pepper. Cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in flour, then add beef broth and vinegar. Simmer, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Put one of the diced potatoes in the blender with one cup of water and puree. Add to the pot.
- Add the rest of the water and diced potatoes, basil, thyme, parsley, salt. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add cream and heat through. If it is too thick, add milk to get desired consistency.
- Serve sprinkled with provolone and green onions.