Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 5 mins
Nutritious and flavorful lacto-vegetarian lentil dish.
- 16 ounces lentils, dry
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt or 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, original
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly milled
- 1⁄8 teaspoon marjoram, freshly chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage, freshly chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme, freshly chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 16 ounces tomatoes, canned OK
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place first 11 ingredients in glass baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and add carrots & celery.
- Re cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, sprinkling the cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 5 more minutes.
Loved it! We just ate it tonight, and my husband really liked the spices. I cut the recipe in half b/c it's only the two of us, and there is plenty left!