Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
When looking for something different for a cooked breakfast, thinking eggs seeing the big beef tomatoes we had ... this idea popped into my head.
- 1 beef tomatoes (about 300g)
- 75 g red onions
- 2 large eggs
- 6 large basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 g grated parmegano cheese
- Cut 1 large beef tomato in half and hollow out the centre (do not discard).
- Drop in a little fresh basil and a few rings of red onion then bake in the oven for about 5 minutes to soften them a little.
- While the tomato is in the oven take the removed pulp and finely chop along with most of the remaining red onion (save about 6 thin rings of onion).
- add the sugar, tomato purée, chopped basil leaves, salt, pepper and red wine vinegar and cook down into a thick sauce.
- Remove the tomato cups from the oven and crack in one egg into each half.
- Drop the rings of onion (you previously saved) into each tomato cup.
- add a small pile of grated Parmegano cheese on top (try to leave the yolk showing for presentation).
- Sprinkle with pepper and carefully place in the red hot oven for another 5-10 minutes (until the egg has cooked).
- Serve half covered with the tomato pickle/ketchup you have made.
- works well with a slice of toasted brown bread.
- Serve hot.
Wow, what a great recipe AskCy. I have made this twice. I enjoyed it for lunch last week and then made a breakfast for dinner meal the other night and this was the star of the show along with the Canadian peameal bacon. The recipe was quick and easy to make, with wonderful results. So much flavor. I really enjoyed the tomato sauce. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Made for Name That Ingredient Tag Game.