Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
I loved my grandma's chicken and rice, but this takes it to another level. A comforting casserole that is mildly seasoned, but could easily be spiced up as you prefer. From the February 2009 Southern Living magazine, attributed to Meredith Baldwin of Lawrenceville, Illinois.
- 283.49 g package yellow rice mix
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml green bell pepper, chopped
- 118.29 ml carrot, chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 473.18 ml cooked chicken, cubed
- 425.24 g can black beans, drained
- 283.49 g candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 473.18 ml grated monterey jack cheese, divided
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, saute onions, bell pepper, and carrot in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a 3-qt. or 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine hot cooked rice, onion mixture, beans, diced tomatoes and chiles, and 1 1/2 cups cheese in a large bowl (I use the skillet instead).
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, uncover and bake 5 to10 minutes or until cheese is melted.