Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
In ‘Paula Deen’s Southern Cooking Bible’
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs whole chicken legs (drumsticks and thighs)
- black pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers or 1 cup saltine crackers
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish or coat with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- Lightly season the chicken all over with salt and black pepper.
- In batches, place the chicken in the hot oil and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In a small bowl, toss together the pineapple and hot sauce.
- Spread evenly on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Place the chicken on top of the pineapple.
- In a small bowl, combine the crackers, butter, and Cheddar.
- Scatter the mixture over the top of the chicken and pineapple.
- Bake until the topping is melted and golden and the chicken is just cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Bring straight to the table in the baking dish.