Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
From "Better Homes & Gardens"
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 (16 ounce) cans butter beans, and rinsed and drained or 4 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 325. In skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove; drain on paper towels. Crumble, set aside. Drain skillet of all but 1 T of drippings. Cook onion in drippings over medium heat until tender. Transfer to large bowl. Add beans and all but 2 T of bacon; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together sour cream, broth, flour, rosemary, mustard and pepper. Stir into bean mix. Transfer to 2-qt casserole. Bake, covered, 45 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- In bowl, combine remaining bacon, parsley, and lemon peel; sprinkle on beans just before serving.
This was a real delightful surprise for me as I've never had butter beans before. Made as directed and just love it! Thanks, Concrete Gardener! Made for PAC Fall 2009.
What a flavourful recipe! This is a one-dish meal in my books. All kinds of tastes vying for your attention...and the lemon peel is the crowning touch.