Recipe by CJAY
I found this on alleasyrecipes.com. I'm posting it for ZWT 6. Sweden Scandinavia
Top Review by choppie1
This is the best version of brown beans that I have ever had, and I have lived in Sweden for 8 years! I almost left out the vinegar, but decided at the last minute to put it in, I am happy that I did, it was a great sweet and sour taste and they were perfect on rice. Thank you CJay for the wonderful and easy recipe.
- 2 cups dried brown beans (available in specialty stores)
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 small cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick over and rinse the beans. Add the water and soak the beans at least 12 hours.
- Bring the beans and soaking water to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the salt, vinegar, syrup, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon stick. Stir to mix.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until the beans are tender. The liquid should be as thick as a sauce at the end of the cooking period.
- If the liquid is not thickened, turn up the heat for 10 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced. Remove the cinnamon stick. Serve hot.