Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
A wonderful savory and sweet appetizer.
Make and share this Baked Brie With Apple Compote recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 golden delicious apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 (6 -8 ounce) round brie cheese, about 4 1/2 inches wide, slightly chilled
- 1 sheet puff pastry, 10 inch sheet, rolled out to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- cracker, Assortment
- In a 2-quart sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the apples and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and have released most of their liquid, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the sugar and cardamom, stir to dissolve and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 12 to 15 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and let the apple compote cool to room temperature.
- Position a rack in the center of an oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With a sharp knife, cut the cheese in half horizontally.
- On a clean work surface, place one half of the cheese, sliced side up, and evenly spread 1/2 cup of the apple compote over it. Set the other half, sliced side down, over the compote and spread an additional 1/2 cup compote over the top.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and set the cheese in the center of the dough.
- Fold the dough up over the sides of the cheese, pleating the upper edges to fit snugly around the cheese.
- Pinch the dough together in the center to seal.
- Brush the dough evenly with the egg wash and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until the pastry is golden all over and crisp, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes, then transfer to a platter along with a sharp knife and the crackers.
- Serve any remaining compote alongside.