1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Sassy in da South's Note:
A wonderful savory and sweet appetizer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 golden delicious apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 (6 -8 ounce) round brie cheese, about 4 1/2 inches wide, slightly chilled
- 1 sheet puff pastry, 10 inch sheet, rolled out to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- cracker, Assortment
- 1In a 2-quart sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- 2Add the apples and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and have released most of their liquid, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3Add the sugar and cardamom, stir to dissolve and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 12 to 15 minutes more.
- 4Remove from the heat and let the apple compote cool to room temperature.
- 5Position a rack in the center of an oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- 6Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 7With a sharp knife, cut the cheese in half horizontally.
- 8On a clean work surface, place one half of the cheese, sliced side up, and evenly spread 1/2 cup of the apple compote over it. Set the other half, sliced side down, over the compote and spread an additional 1/2 cup compote over the top.
- 9Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and set the cheese in the center of the dough.
- 10Fold the dough up over the sides of the cheese, pleating the upper edges to fit snugly around the cheese.
- 11Pinch the dough together in the center to seal.
- 12Brush the dough evenly with the egg wash and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- 13Bake until the pastry is golden all over and crisp, 40 to 45 minutes.
- 14Let it rest for 5 minutes, then transfer to a platter along with a sharp knife and the crackers.
- 15Serve any remaining compote alongside.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Brie With Apple Compote
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.0
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 51.5 mg
- Sodium 219.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 7.5 g