Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Originally from BHG; given to me by my MIL
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can butter beans, drained
- 1 (17 ounce) can lima beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 3⁄4 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon; discard all but 1 T. drippings.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic in drippings stirring constantly, until tender; drain.
- Combine bacon, onion mixture, and beans in a large bowl.
- Stir in catsup and remaining ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish; cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
Delicious. I sub'd cannellini beans for the chickpeas (preference). Little bit sweet, little bit smoky. Enjoyed.
I substitute cannellini & black beans for the butter beans and lima beans. In addition to making it as a side dish, I also sometimes use it as a main dish (halve the number of servings) with a bit of cornbread. I also prefer using a crock pot on low to really let the flavor develop.
These beans turned out really good. I made them for Father's Day and everyone enjoyed them. I substituted great northern beans for the lima beans and also added a can of black beans and some liquid smoke. Very nice!