Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 onion, Chopped
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce or 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt margarine, fry onion until softened (about 5 minutes), add remaining ingredients (except chicken)to onion and boil for 3 minutes.
- Place skinned chicken pieces in a casserole dish, and pour sauce over.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
I've been looking for this taste for years. It is fantastic! I used apple cider vinegar and homemade chicken stock instead of water. I also left the skin on and floured & browned the chicken before baking. Served with mashed potatoes and sliced carrots. Mmm mmm good :)
I was looking for a quick and easy recipe for chicken breast. Gave this a try and turned out great. I made a few changes. I added a clove of garlic with the onions, pinch of salt, pinch of red pepper flakes, used ketchup, and 3/4 cup water. I also thickened the sauce slightly with a mixture of cornstarch and water. Would make again.
I scaled this back for 2 serves and used 2 Maryland cuts which I disjointed and skinned and cooked as per recipe at 160C fan forced and they took 45 minutes to cook to perfection, very moist. The only change I would make in future is to make more of the sauce and definately more onions than the recipe states as I like to serve them over the chicken. Thank you JustJanS for a very simple and good weekday recipe that is fast and easy to make, made for Please Make My Recipe.