An old New England comfort food. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- 2Add shortening and mix lightly with a fork.
- 3Combine beaten egg yolk and milk.
- 4Add to flour mixture.
- 5Place dough on a floured board and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick.
- 6Cut into 6 inch squares.
- 7place an apple in the center of each square.
- 8Fill center of apple with sugar, sprinkle with cinnamon and add a small piece of butter Pinch edges of dough together on top.
- 9Place in a well greased pan.
- 10Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- 11Bake in a preheated 450 oven for ten minutes.
- 12Combine the last five ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil; cook for five minutes When dumplings have baked for ten minutes, pour syrup over them and reduce heat to 350 Bake 25 more minutes, basting occasionally with syrup.
- 13Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Apple Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 625.3
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 34.6 mg
- Sodium 283.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 72.4 g
- Protein 5.6 g