Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
An old New England comfort food. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 6 -8 apples, pared and cored
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add shortening and mix lightly with a fork.
- Combine beaten egg yolk and milk.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Place dough on a floured board and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into 6 inch squares.
- place an apple in the center of each square.
- Fill center of apple with sugar, sprinkle with cinnamon and add a small piece of butter Pinch edges of dough together on top.
- Place in a well greased pan.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Bake in a preheated 450 oven for ten minutes.
- Combine the last five ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil; cook for five minutes When dumplings have baked for ten minutes, pour syrup over them and reduce heat to 350 Bake 25 more minutes, basting occasionally with syrup.
- Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or cream if desired.
First; great recipe it is almost identical to mine. NOW the fun part.I apologize folks I am almos 80 and I love to see the youngsters getting into it. Some of you folks don't really know the "OLDE" words for things. Hey, I had to learn as a kid. "CHEF assig", PARING and peeling are one in the same. My MoM used to refer to her little do everything knife as a paring knife. Aren't you glad you got some of us OLDE duffeses around. Keep cooking and enjoyin. Cap'n Jack the Firehouse cook.
These were very good! I added some lemon zest & nutmeg with my cinnamon. I didn't have any corn syrup on hand but I did use maple syrup and it worked just fine. Fabulous and easy recipe!
This is WOW!!!!. Very YUMMY, only thing I would do is peel the apple first, just makes it easier. Otherwise all's I can say is WOW!!!!