These are unlike any doughnut you've ever eaten. Actually, they're muffins. The center of the apple-cinnamon delight sinks,giving it a doughnut look. I got the recipe from Midwest Living Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set oven on 350 deg F.
- 2Grease twenty-four 2-1/2 inch muffin cups well,set aside. In a medium bowl,stir together flour,salt and baking soda,set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, beat shortening with a electric mixer 30 seconds.
- 4Gradually add the 1-1/2 cups sugar,about 1/4 cup at a time,beating on medium speed until well-combined and scraping sides of bowl. Beat 2 minutes more.
- 5Add eggs, 1 at a time,beating after each addition.
- 6Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to shortening mixture,beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- 7Fold in apples.
- 8Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups,filling two-thirds full.
- 9Bake in the pre-heated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until dark golden brown and wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- 10Doughnuts will dip in middle. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.
- 11In a small bowl, combine the 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- 12Carefully remove doughnuts from muffin cups(donuts will be tender). While still warm, roll doughnuts in the sugar mixture. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Apple Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.8
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 17.8 mg
- Sodium 172.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 17.7 g
- Protein 1.5 g