Recipe by Pinay0618
This recipe, by Michael Cohen, was a winner at the 2009 Gilroy Garlic Recipe Contest.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 20 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stem removed, seeded, and sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 chipotle peppers, minced (packed in adobo sauce)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red pinto beans, drained
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch long strips
- 8 ounces fresh mexican chorizo sausage, removed from casing
- 8 ounces shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 few dashes Mexican hot sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- avocado, slices for garnish
- lime slice, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 10 cloves garlic, red peppers, and cumin and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, coconut milk, and chipotle peppers (plus 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce); bring to a boil; reduce by half. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add pinto beans.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3 minutes. Add chorizo and 6 cloves garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken & chorizo mixture, shrimp, lime juice, and hot sauce to the soup. Cook until shrimp are cooked, about 3-4 minutes. Add remaining 4 cloves garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Also, feel free to add more of any of the other ingredients you feel like the soup needs (e.g., cumin, hot sauce, lime juice).
- Serve immediately in large bowls. Make a pile of shredded coconut on top of each serving of soup. Garnish with cilantro, avocado slices, and lime slices.