Bahraini Prawn Balls (Chebeh Rubyan)
- Shell & devein prawns, rinse and dry well.
- Mix prawns with coriander leaves and pass through food grinder using fine screen, or process to a paste in food processor.
- Combine prawn mixture with turmeric, ground loomi if available and ground rice. Add salt and mix well with until thoroughly blended. Cover and refrigerate until required.
- In a pan gently fry onion in ghee until transparent, stir in bahrat and loomi or lemon rind and remove from heat. Keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup water for 10 minutes and rub with fingers. Pass through a sieve, pressing pulp through with the back of a spoon. Reserve tamarind liquid.
- In a large, wide-based pot gently fry small chopped onion in ghee until transparent. Add tamarind liquid, remaining water, tomato, spices, salt to taste & sugar. cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering make chebeh. Take about a tbs of prawn paste and flatten in moistened palm. Place and tsp of onion filling in center and close up, shaping into a ball. Keep hands moist during shaping. Repeat until ingredients are used.
- Drop completed chebeh into simmering sauce. Cover and simmer gently for 35-40 minutes. Chebeh will swell during cooking. Serve hot with Recipe #405300 and garnish with a few cooked prawns and coriander springs if desired.