Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Posted for FLAVOR of the Month - Tamarind in NA*ME forum. I can imagine this would be very good served with Bahraini Sweet Rice (Muhammar) . From The Complete Middle East Cookbook, by Tess Mallos.
- 2 lbs uncooked prawns (1 kg)
- 1⁄4 cup coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried limes (loomi) (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup rice, ground up (I don't think it means rice flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ghee (butter could probably be subbed)
- 1 teaspoon baharat mixed spice (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground dried limes (loomi, or grated rind of 1/2 lemon)
- 1 piece of tamarind the size of a small egg
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ghee (butter could probably be subbed here)
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon bahrat mixed spice (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon hot chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- cooked prawns and coriander sprig (to garnish, cilantro)
- Shell & devein prawns, rinse and dry well.
- Mix prawns with coriander leaves and pass through food grinder using fine screen, or process to a paste in food processor.
- Combine prawn mixture with turmeric, ground loomi if available and ground rice. Add salt and mix well with until thoroughly blended. Cover and refrigerate until required.
- In a pan gently fry onion in ghee until transparent, stir in bahrat and loomi or lemon rind and remove from heat. Keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup water for 10 minutes and rub with fingers. Pass through a sieve, pressing pulp through with the back of a spoon. Reserve tamarind liquid.
- In a large, wide-based pot gently fry small chopped onion in ghee until transparent. Add tamarind liquid, remaining water, tomato, spices, salt to taste & sugar. cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering make chebeh. Take about a tbs of prawn paste and flatten in moistened palm. Place and tsp of onion filling in center and close up, shaping into a ball. Keep hands moist during shaping. Repeat until ingredients are used.
- Drop completed chebeh into simmering sauce. Cover and simmer gently for 35-40 minutes. Chebeh will swell during cooking. Serve hot with Recipe #405300 and garnish with a few cooked prawns and coriander springs if desired.