Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These freeze very well! and taste is amazing. The bacon helps keep the filling 'together'
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 4 slices bacon, chopped fine
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small potato, grated
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce or 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon water
- pepper (optional)
- Grate vegetables, and mix together with chopped bacon slices (uncooked), water, sauce and seasonings.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add oil and skim milk.
- Knead slightly on a floured board.
- Form into 4.
- Roll out in 6 inch circles.
- Place 1/4 of the filling on the middle of each circle.
- Seal the edges with a bit of water, and fold over to cover filling.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Prick several times with a fork.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 20-30 minutes til golden.
- Freeze well -- to reheat, just pop in the microwave for about 3-5 mins on high.
Tried this today for supper and found it to be quite good and satisfying. Thanks for posting and will definitely try it again.
The dough is very much like a baking powder biscuit recipe I'm familiar with. The filling didn't really have much of a sauce in it and the dough didn't match it well either. This just didn't taste right for us.