Recipe by Guabi Guabi
When our local butcher gets fresh bacon that hasn't been cured in salt, he always saves some for me, and this is one of my favourite dishes to make with it. You could make it with sliced bacon too.
- 2 lbs thick slab bacon, cut into approximately 1 inch cubes
- 3 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced
- english mustard powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh parsley or chives, chopped,for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a layer of onions in the base of a large, heavy-bottomed pot, add a layer of bacon and then a layer of sliced potatoes, seasoning each layer with a little mustard and pepper.
- Continue layering and seasoning and finish with a layer of potatoes.
- Place a bayleaf on top and pour in sufficient cold water to come just below the top layer of potatoes.
- Cover with a lid, bring to the boil, and then simmer very gently for about 1½ hours.
- Serve the stew garnished with chopped parsley or chives and with a side dish of buttered boiled carrots.