Garbanzo Beans With Escarole and Fennel
This is from 365 Meatless Main dishes. To make this into a main dish, toss with 12 oz pasta. Posting for ZWT3.
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fennel bulb, cored and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups escarole, rinsed and drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, cut in 6 wedges
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add red onion, fennel, garlic and hot pepper.
- Cook and stir until vegetables are soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add escarole, cover, and cook over medium-low heat until escarole is wilted, 5-6 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans and salt; stir to combine. Cook, covered, until garbanzos are heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Eh, this didn't go over so well. It doesn't taste BAD, it's just not delicious. It's good, it's very healthy! I served this over brown rice. I used double the fennel & escarole. I cooked my own garbanzos. I did add extra red pepper flakes. It just needed more spice of some flavor...it was kind of bland with the occasional ZIP from the red pepper. Also, be careful not to overcook the veggies. Made for Go to Saudi Arabia in the NA/ME Forum 6/13.Reply
We were glad to find this recipe, since our organic vegetable delivery is overflowing right now with just these ingredients. We needed more oil to prevent sticking, even in a nonstick skillet, and it was a little bland. I should have used more pepper flakes, maybe. I skipped the lemon but it might have been a good idea. Thanks for the healthy recipe!Reply