1 hr 15 mins
This dish is rich and not salty at all. Bacalao is delicious when made into fritters, coated with bread crumbs and deep-fried, or served stuffed into a roasted sweet pepper. Angela Tamura, ZuZu’s chef, prepares it more simply, accompanying it with a crispy garlic crostini. Bacalao is served at ZuZu for $8.00. This recipe is meant to serve two as an appetizer, I think it would be great with soup and a salad! The cod has to be soaked overnight and the water must be changed an average of two times.It is served with garlic-rubbed, toasted olive "oiled" crostini! (I am sure you at least got my drift!)
My Private Note
clay di ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the cod overnight in cold water, changing the water a couple of times.
- 2Remove the fish from the water and clean away any bone or skin.
- 3In a small saucepan put in the cleaned fish, chopped onion, garlic, celery, bay leaf and white wine, and cover with cold water.
- 4Bring the saucepan to a boil and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5In a separate pan, place the potato and cover with cold water, simmer until the potato is soft, and drain placing through a potato ricer or mash them lightly.
- 6Heat the cream together with the butter in a separate pan until the butter has melted.
- 7Remove the fish from the liquid and place it in a small food processor.
- 8Add the cream and melted butter to the food processor and pulse lightly.
- 9Combine the mixture in the food processor with the potato, add the truffle oil and mix well using a rubber spatula or spoon.
- 10Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste. (Do not mix the potato together with the fish using the food processor or the mixture will become starchy.).
- 11At ZuZu, Bacalao is served in a clay baking dish after running it under the broiler to brown it slightly.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacalao
Serving Size: 1 (524 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1101.4
- Calories from Fat 443
- Total Fat 49.2 g
- Saturated Fat 29.1 g
- Cholesterol 401.0 mg
- Sodium 12008.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 111.3 g