Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Crunchy, cheesy with a zip.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 3 jalapenos, diced
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F with cast iron skillet inside.
- Meanwhile, mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese.
- Remove skillet from oven and rub cooking oil on bottom and sides. Pour half of batter mixture into hot greased iron skillet. Top with 1/2 of cheese. Pour remaining batter over this and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and leave in for 15 additional minutes.
This was pretty good, and I''ll probably make it again with a few changes. I''ll cut the salt in half, or maybe to just 1 tsp, and I won't bake as long. A crispy bottom sounds nice, but mine got too brown and the sides stuck.
I make a similar recipe that my best online friend Astrid Fletcher shared with me and it rocks! This is my alltime favorite recipe. We use 2 boxes of Yellow Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix though and then add 1 onion, 1 cup cheddar cheese,2/3 Cup Milk,3 eggs,10 slices pickled jalepenos diced finely and 1/2 lb cooked crumbled bacon. Bake in greased pan at 375 until done. I am considering trying this recipe for something differernt as well. Thank you for your recipe. I will review it once I get the full ingredients to try it.
I chose this recipe for PAC Fall 2008. It was delicious! The jalapenos added the kick and cream corn added the moistness. This is a keeper. Thanks Vicki.