1/2 Photos of Awesome Penne Spinach Bake
Spinach and pasta mixed with the most delicious cream sauce, topped of with a breadcrumb/cheese topping, then baked in the oven. Your gonna love this one! Prep time includes boiling the pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces penne pasta, uncooked (spiral pasta may be used instead of penne)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 -4 fresh minced garlic cloves (I use lots of garlic!)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2-3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated swiss cheese, divided
- 1 large tomato, chopped into small pieces (can use more if desired)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained (squeeze out any excess moisture with your hands)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.
- 3Cook the pasta only to firm-tender (don't overcook, as the pasta will cook more when baked in the oven) according to package directions (omit the salt in the water); drain, set aside.
- 4In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over med-high heat.
- 5Add in the chopped onion (if using) and the garlic; saute for 5 minutes.
- 6Whisk in the flour, thyme, nutmeg and black pepper; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 7Gradually whisk in the half and half; cook for 4 minutes, until thick and bubbly.
- 8Add in the grated Swiss cheese, and the Parmesan cheese; mix well over low heat, until the cheese has melted, and the sauce is hot and bubbly; remove the saucepan from the heat.
- 9In a large bowl, combine the cream/cheese sauce, 1/2 cup of the remaining Swiss cheese (it is not necessery to add the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, you may omit if desired), chopped tomato, and the spinach; stir well.
- 10Spoon the mixture into a prepared greased baking pan.
- 11In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, melted butter and the Parmesan cheese.
- 12Sprinkle the mixture over the casserole in the baking pan.
- 13Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- 14Note: this recipes calls for NO salt, as the grated Parmesan cheese produces enough salty taste, but if you do choose to add salt, add just a small amount (to taste with the cream sauce) at a time, otherwise it tends to get too salty.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Awesome Penne Spinach Bake
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 660.1
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.8 g
- Cholesterol 111.6 mg
- Sodium 551.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 22.1 g