Recipe by AQueen
Mom and I threw together a marinade this afternoon. The flavors were subtle yet delicious! I served these with grilled steak and veggie kabobs. The leftovers will be great on a salad tomorrow!
Top Review by Greeny4444
This recipe was good. It was easy to cut in half for just my husband and me, and the flavors are subtle, yet delicious! :) I bought peeled, deveined, tail-on, frozen colossal shrimp (which are pretty hefty - they don't name them "colossal" for nothing!), but I think the next size down would work perfect for this recipe (the pineapple chunks looked pretty tiny). For the marinade, I draped an open gallon-size Ziploc over the sides of a bowl, and mixed the marinade right in the bag. I reserved the juice from a 20 oz. can of pineapple chunks that I already had (which came out to about 2/3 of a cup), used 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 heaping teaspoon of minced garlic from a jar, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, a few shakes of salt, and 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. After I put the red pepper flakes in, it looked like a TON. I got all freaked out that we were going to be breathing fire (you know, like that Wendy's commercial), so I took a tiny (it was REALLY small) bit out with my fingers - which probably didn't really make a difference. The thawed shrimp marinated in the fridge for 9 1/2 hours, and the marinade smelled wonderful when I opened the bag to skewer them. I made 2 skewers for each of us. Thanks AQueen! Made for PAC Spring 2009.
- 8 ounces pineapple chunks
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- devein the shrimp and leave the shell on them.
- drain the pineapple and reserve the juice
- mix the juice with olive oil, ginger, and garlic.
- add red pepper, salt and pepper to taste.
- mix the shrimp in to the marinade.
- allow to sit for 2-6 hours
- skewer shrimp on to kabob skewers, seperating periodically with the pineapple chunks.
- grill for 3 minutes on each side, until pink.