Recipe by Snicklefritzie
I have no idea where I got this recipe, but it is awesome! I love almond in anything and they go together quickly.
Top Review by Elly in Canada
Like the name says - awesome almond scones! We enjoyed them hot out of the oven, loved the crunch of the almonds and the melting bits of almond paste. A great recipe Snicklefritzie!!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons almond paste, broken into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2⁄3 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, almond paste and almonds in food processor.
- Pulse until mixture has the consistency of coarse crumbs. Put in a large bowl.
- Whisk together egg, egg yolk and 2/3 cup cream until blended. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until dough just begins to hold together.
- Add dough to lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, pat dough to 1/2" thickness.
- Cut scones using a 2" diameter heart-shaped cookie cutter or round biscuit cutter. Gather excess dough and repeat process. Place scones 3" apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly brush surface of scones with remaining 2 tablespoons of cream.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Now: I add about 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract or so to my cream and egg mixture. I do not cut these with a cookie cutter and re-roll. I usually just cut them in squares and then into triangles.
- I also freeze them on a wax-paper lined sheet for several hours before baking and add about 3-4 minutes to my baking time.