A delicious Mexican soup for spring/summer. Can be served hot or cold. From epicurious.com.
Make and share this Avocado Soup With Green Peppercorns recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, cut in medium dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 large ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 quarts low-fat chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup green peppercorns in brine, drained (reserve a few for garnish)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cilantro leaf, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion, garlic, and spices in the olive oil over moderate heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the avocados and chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook for 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Purée the soup mixture in a blender until very smooth. Transfer back to the saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the peppercorns and salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook for 10 minutes. Serve with a garnish of cilantro and a few peppercorns.
- Note: Delicious with warm tortillas or tortilla chips served with tomato salsa cruda and fresh Mexican cheese.
I made 1/4 of this and I`m sure glad I did or I would have eaten the whole thing!!! I used freeze dried peppercorns that`s what I had and they were very good in the soup. DON`T skip the coriander or cumin! I topped with cheddar, young cilantro and a scoop of salsa. Garnished with a lime slice. This is a must try!