Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
the perfect spanish rice can go along side any dish! try it in my chicken and rice soup recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely diced
- 4 ounces el pato salsa fresca (or tomato sauce if you cant find el pato sauce)
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- in a bowl combine broth, cumin, chili powder, salt & half a can of el pato sauce (if you can't find el pato use regular tomato sauce).
- brown rice, in hot oil, in a large skillet for approximately 5 minutes flipping occasionally.
- add diced onion, minced garlic, sauté for 1 minute.
- add seasoned broth, bring to a boil.
- reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. do not check on the rice before the 15 minutes is up, this will allow steam to escape and may make your rice turn out undercooked.
- most of the water will absorb before the 15 minute time limit but keep covered and continue to steam for the entire 15 minutes. this will make for perfect rice that isnt crunchy.
- after 15 minutes turn heat off, uncover & flip rice over. recover & let sit until everything else is ready. you can let the rice sit covered for up to 25 minutes which will cook out most of the moisture & leave perfect fluffy rice.
I made this rice exactly as listed and it came out very bland. I think this is a good basic recipe but needs more spice /flavor.
Excellent! This is the absolute best Spanish Rice recipe I have ever prepared. Thanks for the post.
Very delicious! Thanks for posting!