Recipe by Southern Lady
Quick, Simple, and filled with real Cajun flavor as if you're eating in New Orleans, Louisiana. While simmering, taste for flavor - add a little more Cajun seasoning if needed. I've combined green, orange, and red bell peppers before and it was delicious. Note: 2 tablespoons minced garlic, not 2 cloves
Top Review by mollyooly
Simple instructions, quick prep, simply perfect! Im addicted to this recipe so much that I make it once a week now. If you ate looking for that perfect beans and rice recipe, you've found it!
- 6 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (add more broth as needed) or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (add more broth as needed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cajun seasoning (Recommend Tony Chachere's)
- 14 -16 ounces sausage, Slice length wise and chop into bite sizes (Andouille preferred, can use Kielbasa, Smoked, Beef)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and washed (this helps prevent gas)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare your rice as directed while meal is simmering.
- Olive oil in dutch oven or large skillet, medium-low heat.
- Add minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery, saute for 6-8 minutes.
- Add spices and broth, stirring well.
- Add sausage and washed red kidney beans and fold in until well mixed.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes - cooking out most liquid
- Taste test - This is the time to add a little more cajun spice.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Spoon mixture over 3/4 - 1 cup cooked rice.