Recipe by Brian Holley
Super, easy aubergine curry, the mushrooms give an added texture and flavour. Served along side a chicken curry this makes a very good second dish. Cheap to cook, yet full of goodness. With this recipe you get to use your microwave. A Vegetarian special.
- 2 large aubergines, about 450g each
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 fluid ounces water
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Slash the aubergines on one side, down the length.
- Place aubergines in microwave and cook on high heat for 10 minutes Remove from microwave and allow them to cool.
- In the meanwhile heat the oil in a pot and fry the mustard seeds till they start to pop. Add the onions, garlic mushrooms and chilli, fry for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chilli powder,cumin, ground coriander, tumeric,tomato and salt fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and water, stir.
- Open the aubergines and scrape the flesh out, and cut it into small pieces.
- Add the auberrgine to the spice mix, add the chopped coriander.
- Bring all to a boil and cook for 5 minutes It's made.