This Indian recipe is unusual as mushrooms are not common in India. The finished dish can be eaten as a side dish or stirred through rice to make an altogether different dish !!!!! I often eat this as a cold rice dish on picnics or with a B.B.Q.
- Ready In:
- 300 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped into small dice
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 dried red chili
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 6 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 fresh green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
- Grind together the cinamon stick, cloves, dried chilli and the cardamoms to make a powder. OR use 1 heaped tsp garam masala powder.
- Heat the oil in a pot and when hot add the cumin seeds, when they start to splutter add the onion and garlic, reduce the heat to medium and cook till the onion is soft.
- Add the tumeric, curry leaves and tomatoes to the pan, cook till the tomatoes are soft and will mash down to form the base of the sauce.
- Add the gound spices (garam masala) and the coriander and chilli powder.
- Cook stirring for 30 sec.
- Add the mushrooms, stir again, cover the pot and cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander leaves, and, serve.