Recipe by ellie_
Delicious for a light vegetarian supper/brunch with spinach salad and fruit for desert. The prep time includes cutting up vegetables and cooking the asparagus. As a time saver I shred the cheese in a food processor and (after taking out 1/2 cup cheese) then the carrots in the same food processor bowl -- they are both added to the other ingredients at the same time. Recipe source: Saveur (April 2004)
Top Review by Barb G.
Simply DELICUIOS, We really enjoyed this for dinner along with a nice green salad.I halved the recipe for just the two of us and had some left over for lunch. I steamed the Asparagus instead of boiling it, other than that I made it as the recipe said,But,used a pie pam to bake it in. Thank you Ellie for another delicious recipe.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb asparagus spear, trimmed (about 20)
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten (or 8 eggs and 1 cup egg whites)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Grease a 12-cup bundt pan with butter. Set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the cheese with the chives in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook asparagus in boiling water for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Drain and run under cold water. Drain.
- Cut asparagus into 1/4-inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, onions, carrots, flour milk, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and remaining cheese (1 1/2 cups) to asparagus and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or untl done and is firm.
- Remove to wire rack and let cool.
- Before serving, preheat broiler.
- Invert frittata onto baking sheet. Sprinkle top with reserved chives and cheese.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese melts.