photo by Lavender Lynn
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup grated cheese, such as cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F Bring a large skillet of salted water to a boil.
- Cook asparagus in boiling water until just tender.
- Drain and plunge in ice water to stop cooking immediately. When cool, cut asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
- Melt butter in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, beat eggs and blend with cheese, asparagus and salt.
- When butter is melted, reduce heat to medium-low and add eggs to skillet.
- Cook until bottom is set, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until top is set. Or broil for a brown top.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A perfect centerpiece for a lazy Sunday brunch. I was tempted to add sun-dried tomatoes but held off, and glad I did. As presented, the asparagus really shine through and are well complemented by the cheese, in my case a mix of soy gouda and soy mozzarella. I made a slightly lighter version by replacing 2 of the eggs with 4 egg whites and all the butter with a single tablespoon of fancy extra extra virgin olive oil. (Thank heavens for a good non-stick skillet.) Served with a mixed green and strawberry salad and a roasted tomato sauce on the side. Thanks!
Nice lunch recipe!! I was cleaning out the fridge and used jalapeno jack cheese-- this was a mistake as the taste kind of overwhelmed the asparagus! Next time I will try less cheese and something more appropriate. By the way, I don't have an ovenproof skillet; so I warmed a metal 8x8 pan in the oven, melted the butter in it and poured in the eggs. 20 minutes at 400 degrees and it was perfect.