Top Review by Merlot
What a wonderful way to make Asparagus! I can't get enough of them and I'm always looking for new ways to cook them. I really like the combination of flavors. The mace was a nice touch. Your instructions were easy to follow. This dish hit the spot for my taste buds. Thanks for sharing.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb frozen asparagus spear
- 2 large eggs, hard boiled
- 3⁄4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the asparagus and drain well.
- Peel the eggs and chop them.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium saucepan set over moderate heat, melt half the butter.
- Blend salt, pepper and mace into butter and cream, mix cornstarch with water add to cream and cook stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, until it has become thick and smooth.
- In a well-buttered, 2-quart casserole, alternate layers of the asparagus, eggs, Cheddar cheese and walnuts Pour the cream sauce over the layers.
- Combine melt remaining butter add Parmesan cheese and scatter the topping over the casserole Bake the uncovered casserole for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the topping browned.