Recipe by Jenny White
This wonderful side dish was always on my grandmother's Thanksgiving table. It is so good. You can use any size can of asparagus, depending on how much of the vegetable you want in the dish.
Top Review by BecauseofHim
This was a nice side dish to our dinner. I had a can of asparagus sitting in my pantry for the longest time because I didn't know what to do with it. So I am thankful for this recipe. When life gives you asparagus make this asparagus casserole!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can asparagus spears or 1 (12 ounce) can asparagus spears
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Melt butter over low heat.
- Add flour, salt and pepper.
- Stir until well blended.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in milk and return to heat.
- (To enhance the flavor of this dish, drain asparagus into measuring cup and finish out the 2 cups with milk).
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth.
- In a loaf pan, or 2 quart casserole dish, layer asparagus and 2 sliced eggs and cover with half the sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover with cracker crumbs and bake for 30 minutes, or until it starts to bubble.