susie cooks's Note:
The crab cakes are best served over a bed of mixed organic greens in a light vinaigrette."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For wasabi caper sauce
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons drained bottled capers, chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons wasabi paste (* Japanese horseradish paste)
For crab cakes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped leeks (white part only)
- 1 large egg, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon spicy Chinese mustard (*)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs (*Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1Make wasabi caper sauce:.
- 2Stir together all sauce ingredients and chill, covered, until ready to use.
- 3Make crab cakes:.
- 4Wash leek well in a bowl of cold water, agitating leek, then lift out and drain.
- 5Whisk together whole egg, yolk, mayonnaise, and mustard in a large bowl, then stir in bell pepper, leek, ginger, and 3/4 cup panko.
- 6Stir in crabmeat and chill, covered, 1 hour.
- 7Divide mixture into 8 mounds and form into 8 (1-inch-thick) patties.
- 8Spread remaining 3/4 cup panko in a shallow dish, then carefully coat patties, 1 at a time, in panko.
- 9Heat 3/4 inch oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until it registers 350°F on thermometer.
- 10(Adjust heat as necessary; see cooks' note, below.) Fry crab cakes in 2 batches, turning over once, until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes per batch.
- 11Transfer to several layers of paper towels to drain.
- 12Return oil to 350°F between batches.
- 13Serve crab cakes with sauce.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian-Style Crab Cakes With Wasabi Caper Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1383.3
- Calories from Fat 1109
- Total Fat 123.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 192.6 mg
- Sodium 1050.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 33.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: