Recipe by Skipper/Sy
Asian soups are wonderful and there are many different types, from mild noodle soups to spicy Hot & Sour soups. My favorite place in NYC’s Chinatown is to go to a Vietnamese Restaurant and get their Seafood Noodle Soup (Yellow Noodles). So I decided to make my own version and also added a few more ingredients as well. This recipe is for a full meal, lunch or dinner.
- 85.04 g mushrooms (five shitake dry or fresh)
- 226.79 g shrimp, medium size, cleaned
- 226.79 g squid, cleaned
- 226.79 g rib bone pork (or other cuts of meat)
- 113.39 g Chinese vegetables, cleaned (various vegetables can be used)
- 340.19 g firm tofu, fried (or fresh)
- 1892.72 ml stock (Wonton Powder base or other types)
- 453.59 g yellow fresh noodles, 4 individual servings
- 59.16 ml peanut oil
- 44.37 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml salt (to taste)
- 14.79 ml white pepper (to taste)
- 14.79 ml sesame oil (to taste)
- scallions, cleaned or cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- SHITAKE MUSHROOMS- If using dry ones, soak in warm water for 30 minutes then cut away the stem and cut in half (Or if using fresh Shitake mushrooms cut away the stems and cut in half), then fry in a wok with a little oil and then soy sauce (a few minutes) and set aside.
- SHRIMP- Split open the back of the shrimp and de-veine (remove/clean) as well as removing the shell, then place in a small bowl with a little salt (toss) and let sit for 15 minutes. Next fry in a wok with a little oil until pink (do not over cook) and set aside.
- SQUID- 2 large squid (or pre-cleaned from the fish market), remove the cartilage and scrape the slimy material off, split open and then score across(underside) and then score in the other direction, cut into bite size pieces, fry in a wok with a little oil (do not overcook) and set aside.
- PORK- Cut up into bite size pieces, stir fry in a wok with some oil and a little soy sauce (several minutes) and set aside.
- CHINESE GREENS- Can be any type of your choice; Chinese Greens, Bok Choy, Chinese Broccoli, Asparagus (American), place in a pot of boiling salt water for about 1 minute, drain and set aside.
- TOFU Firm, Cut into long flat pieces (1/4 inch thick) and fry in a little oil (about 7-10 minutes) then drain the oil and add a little soy sauce (and sesame seeds optional) cool briefly. Or use fresh tofu cut into small pieces and into boiling water for 1 minute, drain and set aside.
- SOUP STOCK- Heat in a large pot (any soup base is all right) add a little salt and white pepper (to taste) and set aside.
- NOODLES Fresh- Any type but I prefer yellow and fresh. There are packages which has four noodle servings. Set Aside.
- SCALLIONS- Cut up into small pieces. And/or you can use cilantro, bean sprouts, set aside.
- Place the individual portion (1) of the noodles into boiling water, and in about 2-3 minutes, separate with a fork/chop sticks, remove and drain in some cold water and then into an individual bowl.
- Add to the bowl some hot soup stock and separate the noodles.
- Next on top add some Mushrooms, Shrimp, Squid, Pork Vegetables, Tofu, a little Sesame oil, White Pepper (to taste) and Scallions/Cilantro.
- Do the same with the other three individual bowls….
- Serve with chopped sticks and an Asian porcelain type spoon and enjoy!
- NOTE: You can always reduce the food ingredients somewhat (like the Shrimp, Squid, Pork, Veggies, Tofu) because this recipe (and amount of ingredients listed) might be a little to much for each bowl and serving or if not, you can use these cooked ingredient the next day.