Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Bon Appétit July 2007. This recipe caught my eye.
Make and share this Asian Pork and Mushroom Burger Wraps recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons minced lemongrass (from bottom 3 inches of about 4 stalks)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, divided
- 1 3⁄4 lbs ground pork
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce, sauce*
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot chili sauce (such as sriracha)
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 2 heads bibb lettuce, cored, leaves separated
- 1 cup matchstick-size strips red bell pepper
- 1 cup matchstick-size strips peeled carrot
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add lemongrass and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt; sauté until mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; cool in skillet.
- Place pork in large bowl. Mix in 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, cracked pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, then fold in mushroom mixture. Using 2 generous tablespoonfuls for each, shape into 18 patties, each about 2 1/4 inches in diameter; arrange on plastic-lined baking sheet.
- Whisk hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, chili sauce, and remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 2 teaspoons sesame oil in small bowl for sauce. DO AHEAD: Burgers and sauce can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover separately; chill.
- Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat ). Grill burgers until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Arrange burgers on platter; set out sauce. Place lettuce, bell pepper, carrot, and cilantro in separate bowls. Serve, allowing guests to wrap burgers in lettuce and add sauce and vegetables as desired.