Recipe by Sandyg61
This is from a cookbook by Dave Lieberman. I haven't tried it yet but am posting it here for safekeeping.
Top Review by jbe467
This is the best soup I have ever had. I am an admitted mushroom freak, so I knew I would like it. I made this the day after I saw Dave make this on his show on Food Network. I don't use shallots or snow peas in this recipe. I use 1/2 of a napa cabbage and one bunch of bok choy, and I add a bag of shelled edamame. If you make this, please do not omit the sesame oil - it's the icing on the cake!
- 2 quarts reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (optional)
- 2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 10 small shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and left whole
- 1 small napa cabbage, outer leaves only, roughly torn
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, then in half crosswise, and very thinly sliced
- 20 snow pea pods
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- dark sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the broth, soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger and shallots in a large saucepan or stockpot.
- Heat over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the snow peas, scallions and sesame oil.
- Simmer 30 minutes, then add the snow peas. Cook just a few minutes longer, until the snow peas have softened slightly but are still bright green.
- Add the scallions to the pot, remove from heat and ladle into serving bowls.
- Drizzle a bit of sesame oil over the top of each serving.