Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a combination of recipes that I made into my own. I was looking for Asian flavors fused with sweet sauce and this is what I came up with. Many recipes called for grape jelly or cranberry sauce but I thought I'd try using plum jelly which is my favorite. I made a similar recipe using a mixture of ground beef and ground turkey and it it turned out very well so I believe this one can be varied using your ground meat(s) of choice. They can also be cooked in the crockpot after browning the meatballs (5 hours on low).
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced (can substitute scallions)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2-1 cup panko breadcrumbs (add as needed for consistency you prefer)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup quick oats (add as needed for consistency you prefer)
- 1 egg
- 1 -2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (Can add more if you prefer a sweeter taste)
- 3⁄4 cup sweet and sour sauce
- 3⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray because it's sweet)
- 1⁄2 cup plum jelly (can use grape jelly or cranberry sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot chili, sauce, to taste (Sriracha, a little goes a long way)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Mix together all ingredients listed under "Meat" EXCEPT the meat. The idea is to handle the meat as little as possible.
- Gently incorporate the meat by mixing with hands (spray hands with a bit of cooking spray or oil to prevent sticking).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and then add oil.
- Form meat mixture into 12 meatballs and place in hot skillet as you form them.
- Lightly brown meatballs on all sides (About 2 minutes total. They will cook in the oven.).
- Remove from skillet and place in a shallow baking dish or casserole.
- Whisk together all ingredients until well-mixed and jelly is fully incorporated.
- Pour over meatballs.
- Turn meatballs to coat in sauce.
- Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes until meatballs are completely done.
- Serve as an appetizer, or as a main meat dish.