Recipe by *Parsley*
Kids love chicken drumsticks. These have an Asian flair and are sure to please both kids and adults. Grab some napkins!
Top Review by elliesstuff
I didn't have reduced sodium soy sauce, only regular, and this was way too salty and I love salt. I would make this again though. I can see it would be fine with the reduced sodium sauce.
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- 2 green onions, chopped, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and pat chicken dry.
- In a large, wide saucepan, mix together sesame oil, onion, garlic, broth, rice vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, apricot preserves, light brown sugar and ginger; mix well.
- Heat mixture to a boil over med-high heat.
- Add the chicken drumsticks.
- Continue to cook over medium to medium-high heat for 25-30 minutes, turning/rearranging chicken (with tongs) often, or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a platter; keep warm.
- IF the sauce has not yet reduced to a thick glaze yet, continue to cook and stir until it reduces to a thick glaze; do not let burn.
- Either Pour the reduced glaze over chicken pieces or return the chicken to the galze in the pot (off the heat) and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or sliced green onions, if desired.
- Serve hot or room temperature.
- Grab some napkins and dig in!