Recipe by Irmgard
This lovely salad, from "Pure Food" by Christine Cushing, is a sophisticated variation of Greek salad. The flavours compliment each other beautifully.
Top Review by Bthayers
Loved the sweetness of the shallots. I don't know if I would have liked it as much if I didn't have the Sherry Wine Vinegar. I don't think other substitues would have measured up. I used the spinach arugula bagged salad from the store, so the 50/50 mix would have really made it fun. Will make it again... the hubby had 2nds which is almost unheard of for a salad.
- 2 1⁄2 ounces baby arugula, washed
- 2 1⁄2 ounces Baby Spinach, washed
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- sea salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm 1 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sliced shallots and stir frequently for about 6 to 8 minutes or until golden.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for a further 2 minutes until gently browned.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry the arugula and spinach and place in a medium bowl.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, mustard and oregano in a small bowl.
- Continue whisking while slowly pouring in the 1/4 cup olive oil until well combined.
- Season with salt.
- Gently toss the greens with the cheese and vinaigrette to coat.
- Sprinkle with the caramelized shallots and serve.