Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A Middle Eastern delicacy, but none make it better than the Armenians!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round or 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb and lean ground top round beef
- 1⁄2 cup rice (preferably a combination of the two) or 1⁄2 cup cracked bulgur wheat (preferably a combination of the two)
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces crushed tomatoes or 8 ounces tomato sauce
- cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth, enough to cover the vegetables
- PREPARATION OF VEGETABLES:.
- A variety of vegetables can and should be used including red, gold, and or green bell peppers. Also used are large sized zucchini squash, tomatoes, and onions.
- Scoop out the vegetables leaving an opening for the filling of about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter and about 2-3 inches deep. Fill the scooped out vegetables with the filling mixture and place upright in a large covered casserole.
- Pour over the crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce with broth or 1 cup of water. Cover and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Try this dish served with a dollop of Mahdzoon (YOGURT) over the filled vegetables.
- See my Mahdzoon recipe -- ENJOY!
This is exactly how my dad used to make stuffed bell peppers! A childhood favorite :) Found your recipe when I wanted to post mine. Thakns for sharing!