Yemista Me Ryzi
Greek stuffed vegetables with Rice.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lb zucchini, grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 eggplant, peeled and grated
- 1 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 firm tomatoes
- 4 medium zucchini
- 4 small eggplants
- 4 bell peppers (green bell, or banana)
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- toasted breadcrumb
- Wash the vegetables carefully and dry. With a paring knife, cut the caps off the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant, and both ends off the zucchini and set aside. With a spoon, scoop out the pulp and seeds from the eggplant, zucchini, and peppers, and discard.
- Scoop out the tomato pulp, chop well, and set aside. Lightly salt the interior of all vegetables.
- Tip: Scoop out vegetables leaving a thin shell, about 1/8 inch.
- In a pot, heat 1/2 cup of olive oil and sauté the onion for about 2-3 minutes. Add grated zucchini, eggplant, and carrots, and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the tomato pulp and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for 15 minutes, and put in a bowl. Add the rice, parsley, salt, and pepper, and mix well with a spoon until blended.
- With a spoon, fill vegetables loosely with the rice mixture, place in a roasting pan packed closely but not squashed, with caps covering the tops and ends. Place tomatoes (and small bell peppers if used) upright, lie the others on their sides. Pour 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup water over the top, sprinkle the tops of the upright vegetables with toasted breadcrumbs, and bake at 450F (230C) for 1 hour. Halfway through, turn the vegetables that are placed on their sides.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION