Sogan Dolma (Stuffed Onions)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1 large white onion, halved crosswise, ends discarded, plus 1/2 onion coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 baby carrots
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup rolled oats or 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup tomato sauce with garlic
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon red paprika
- 1 tablespoon vegetable herb seasoning mix, such as Vegeta
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chicken base
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh garlic in oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- Serving suggestions: cold sour cream, cucumber salad.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Boil the halved onions in water with 3 tablespoons of the vinegar until soft but not falling apart, about 15 minutes.
- Put the chopped onions, carrots and celery in a food processor and blend until finely chopped. Combine the vegetable mixture, ground beef, oats, rice, tomato sauce, cold water, paprika, vegetable herb seasoning, chicken base, garlic and pepper in a bowl and mix well with your hands.
- Remove the halved onions from the water and separate into cups. Fill each cup with meat mixture and place meat-side up in a single layer in a 12- by 15-inch baking pan. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar with enough hot water to pour into the pan to cover halfway up the sides. Cover and bake for 2 hours.
- To serve, transfer the stuffed onions to plates and cover with sauce. Serve with a cold sour cream and cucumber salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!