Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious pie and quite easy to prepare, even for a novice baker. It's great in the winter when fresh fruit isn't always available.
- Cover apricots with boiling water in a small saucepan and let stand 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prick pastry shell all over with a fork.
- Line with parchment or foil and fill with pie weights or dry rice.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove liner and weights; bake 7 minutes longer or until bottom is dry and firm.
- Let cool on a rack while you prepare the filling.
- Drain apricots well and discard liquid.
- Pour liquid from peaches over apricots; set aside.
- Add lemon juice and peel to apricots and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the apricots are very tender and the liquid is reduced by about one-third, about 20 minutes.
- Stir together sugar and cornstarch.
- Blend into the apricots and cook, stirring gently over medium heat until liquid is thickened and translucent.
- Gently stir in peaches.
- Cool 5 minutes, then spoon into baked pie shell.
- To make streusel topping, stir together the almonds, sugar and flour.
- Blend in the butter with a fork until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over peach-apricot mixture.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown.
GREAT TASTING PIE & we really enjoyed the combo of these 2 fruits! The streusel topping with the almonds was a very nice touch! Will be making this one again & again ~ Many thanks for posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Bargain Basement]