Recipe by CindiJ
I saw this recipe in an issue of Betty Crockers Slow Cooker Recipes magazine and knew right away this was a keeper. This was great for dessert but was just as good the next morning as a Coffee Cake.
Top Review by johannewallace
Great flavor, moist and easy to make. Increased everything by 50% to make in 9x13 pan. Used all whole wheat flour, butter, and doubled cinnamon with no nutmeg. Also threw in about 1/2 cup raisins - might even add more next time. :-) Will definitely make again!
- 1 1⁄4 cups chunky unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup pecans or 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat applesauce to boiling over medium-high heat. Stir in oats and let stand 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350º. Grease bottom & sides of 9-inch square pan with shortening.
- In large bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter and granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and eggs until fluffy.
- Beat in applesauce mixture just until mixed.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, scraping bowl once, just until blended.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix all topping ingredients until well blended. Spread topping over hot cake. Broil cake with top 6 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.