1/5 Photos of Applesauce (For Canning)
1 hr 20 mins
This is another from the Ball Blue Book. Posted in response to a request. The cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice are to taste. Thus no exact measurements.
My Private Note
- 1Peel, core and quarter apples.
- 2You will need 3 to 3-1/2 pounds per quart of applesauce.
- 3Place in large saucepot.
- 4Cook apples with just enough water so they don't stick.
- 5Cook over medium heat until soft.
- 6Puree in food processor or food mill until smooth.
- 7Return to pan and bring to a boil.
- 8You may add sugar if desired.
- 9Taste to see how sweet the apples are.
- 10You can also add cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- 11Keep applesauce boiling and ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- 12Remove air bubbles and adjust two piece caps.
- 13Process pints and quarts for 20 minutes in a boiling water canner.
- 14If you like chunky sauce, only puree half of the apples and crush the other half with a potato masher.
- 15Prep time is an estimate as it depends on how many quarts of sauce you are preparing.
Browse Our Top Sweet Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Applesauce (For Canning)
Serving Size: 1 (1915 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 995.5
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 264.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 45.9 g
- Sugars 198.9 g
- Protein 4.9 g