This is another from the Ball Blue Book. Posted in response to a request. The cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice are to taste. Thus no exact measurements.
- Peel, core and quarter apples.
- You will need 3 to 3-1/2 pounds per quart of applesauce.
- Place in large saucepot.
- Cook apples with just enough water so they don't stick.
- Cook over medium heat until soft.
- Puree in food processor or food mill until smooth.
- Return to pan and bring to a boil.
- You may add sugar if desired.
- Taste to see how sweet the apples are.
- You can also add cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Keep applesauce boiling and ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and adjust two piece caps.
- Process pints and quarts for 20 minutes in a boiling water canner.
- If you like chunky sauce, only puree half of the apples and crush the other half with a potato masher.
- Prep time is an estimate as it depends on how many quarts of sauce you are preparing.