Recipe by Sharon123
I found this recipe in a Weight Watcher's magazine(Sept. 2010) and it looked so good, I am putting it here for safekeeping!
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half (preferably fat free)
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt (fine or coarse)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 apples (each cut into 6 wedges-Gala or Golden Delicious are good)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix half and half, butter, and salt in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the butter is melted and mixture is hot, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, washing down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in cool water to dissolve any sugar crystals. Boil, without stirring, until caramel turns dark amber, about 10 minutes(keep a good eye on it).
- Immediately remove the pan from heat; let caramel cool 1 minute.
- Wearing long oven mitts to protect your arms and being careful to avoid any splatters, slowly whisk in half and half mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Move caramel to a small bowl. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with apple wedges. Enjoy!