Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Take a pork roast out of the oven, turn out a bowl of stuffing and add a hot dish of apples and onions.
- 1⁄4 lb lean bacon
- 1 lb apple, sliced
- 1 lb onion, peeled and sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (use only if apples are tart and the onions too strong)
- Cut bacon in inch squares and fry out.
- Remove bacon.
- Reserve grease.
- Clean the fry pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of bacon fat to hot fry pan and add onions.
- Brown the onions until golden and translucent.
- Add more fat if needed.
- Add apples and cook until tender.
- Taste, if mixture is a bit sharp, add brown sugar.
- Pour apples/onions into a hot baking dish.
- Top w/ crumbled bacon.
- Cover& keep warm in oven until serving time.
I served this with ribeye steak on Valentines Day. It went perfectly. I used Honey Crisp apples and before putting the bacon on top I added some fresh shredded raw cheddar cheese. My Valentine loved it and even had seconds.
loved this side dish. would never have thought to put the two together. didn't need the brown sugar, my onion was sweet and i used a Gala apple. i also didn't have bacon to crumble but had bacon grease to fry in, next time i will have some to crumble over, i think it will make an already wonderful dish even better.
I loved the combination of the apples and the onions -- but I deviated a bit and left out the bacon bits. Now I think it would've been so much better! I still fried in bacon fat, and served it with steak. It was a much healthier alternative to, say, mashed potatoes!