1 hr 5 mins
Bob Loblaw's Note:
A little bit lighter version of Hey Jude's recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 apples (Granny Smith is a good, flavorful choice)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (I use margarine)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- cinnamon (optional)
- 1Topping: Melt margarine and pour into 13x9 cake pan. Add the brown sugar and spread evenly on bottom of pan.
- 2Peel, core and slice apples, 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Lay the apple slices in an overlapping pattern on the bottom of the pan.
- 3If you like, you can sprinkle cinnamon on the apples.
- 4Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- 5Cream margarine, yogurt and sugar together. If you want some added sweetness, you could try adding a little stevia.
- 6Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
- 7Add this mixture and the milk to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. You can add cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg to the batter if you like (I use 1/2 teaspoon of each).
- 8Pour batter evenly over the apples.
- 9Bake for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 10Loosen edges of cake away from the sides of the pan with a spatula and then turn cake upside down onto a platter. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.8
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 37.2 mg
- Sodium 397.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 27.1 g
- Protein 4.6 g